Saturday, January 01, 2011

Courting Rules

Wintery Knight is fast becoming my favorite blog. In this post which I excerpt below, he discusses rules for courting prospective wives:

Do not believe anything they say to you, because women adapt to men and say what men want to hear. Demand that she read hard books on complicated things like astronomy and economics and education policy. Demand that she write about what she reads. Demand life experiences that show that she has sympathy with things like capitalism and apologetics. Demand a track record of past activism in defense of marriage, the unborn, parental rights, Christianity and small government. Make moral judgments of her constantly and tell her the judgments so you can see how she responds to being judged. Hold her accountable for every mistake she makes - demand that she have a plan to change so that the mistake isn't made again. Push all kinds of moral obligations onto her. Put her in charge of taking care of your pet, your garden, your car, and anything else that can be used to test her to see if she can handle responsibilities. Talk constantly about your desires and feelings. Complain about feminism and female nature all the time. Burden her up with the stories of your hard work day and how hard it is to be a man. Express your concerns about women who withhold sex, put on weight, and spend too much, after they get married. Demand that she engage all of her non-Christian friends and relatives so that they make progress towards better worldviews. Monitor her performance in debates to see how well she can reason and research evidence for her views. Harp on something you like to take care of, like your car, your pet, or your garden - and watch to see whether she shows an interest in it or considers it a rival to be taken away so that she is the only thing to get your attention.

The only way to test a woman for marriage and parenting is to... test a woman for marriage and parenting. And physical attraction is not a good way to test a woman for the roles of wife and mother.

He’s also got rules in other posts for women in testing the viability of men as prospective husbands and fathers which I’d probably have failed! Thank God I found a good woman who isn’t the feminist New Ager type and is a great mother and wife.

That said, I find Wintery’s rules fascinating. Demanding the woman read “hard books on complicated things” is something I have never heard of or seen anywhere else. Of course for a Christian man looking for a wife, marrying someone whose worldview is antithetical to Christ is allowing a Dragon into the home so it makes sense to demand sympathy with that worldview. The other “rules” sound simplistic and sort of brutal, but you know, I find a certain harsh beauty in them once you realize that the choice of a partner should be for life and the next generation of people depends on these choices.

Here’s another relationship advice I found nourishing as well.

First post of 2011. Happy New Year!

4 comments:

Andy said...

I'm not sure about parts of the list. Maybe that works for him, and the type if wife HE wants. He strikes me as the type who wants someone who thinks just like him on every subject and never wants to be challenged on any of his views.

As for burdening his potential wife constantly with talk about how hard it is being a man - a real man just gets on with being a man without constantly whining to his lady about how hard it is. Otherwise you deserve to end up with someone continually burdening you with how hard it is to suffer period pains and the like.

As for testing that she's not likely to withold sex, it comes across like Wintery Knight has a history of just not making an effort. Perhaps he's putting women OFF sex with his constant moaning about how hard it is being a man.

I'd be interested to know if WK is single, or if he's found a woman who passed all his tests. Every decent woman I know would run a mile from someone who made demands about what kind of friends she has and how she should treat them. And if you've got a hobby she's not interested in, that should be fine. I don't WANT my wife to insist she comes fishing with me.

Unknown said...

Thank you for your comments, Andy. Although, you commit a fallacy when you ask to know if WK is single.

Andy said...

It's not a fallacy to ask! A fallacy would be to base an argument on his relationship status. It would be an ad hominem, I guess.

As it happens, from reading his blog, I see now that he is single. It doesn't affect any of what I said above.

Unknown said...

Why else would you ask, Andy?