Friday, June 11, 2010

Fenton The Fuck Outta Here

I’ve been reading (or rather listening to the author read) Hitch-22.

Very enjoyable listening to Christopher Hitchens; I wish I were able to speak and debate a bit like him, I believe my life would be a lot different. I don’t agree with his religious indolence, his God is NOT Great is a marauding blind bull in a china shop to quote something he might well say.

Regardless, I’m very pleased he’s come over to “our side” of the political divide even though he continues to keep a toe in the muddy liberal or to be precise Trotsky-ite waters, I’m sure. One of his life-long friends as documented in his memoir is an intriguing-sounding fellow called James Fenton, a poof Oxford-trained poet with both feet square in the liberal whirlpool.

Fenton, lauded as the best British poet of his generation (Guffaw! You should read it and see if you don’t guffaw as well), walks the lame horse of anti-gun arguments past his readers in The Lone Killer Will Find Friends in the States. Most of what he writes on the subject is pure bullshit of course, but the irony is that even as he castigates the US for continuing to hang on to its (to him) brainless Second Amendment, he MOVES TO AMERICA!

I’d tell him to cram it all up his ass, but I have a feeling he’d like it too much.

No comments: