Monday, August 06, 2007

Home, Miscellania

Home today from work. Car trouble. I'll leave it at that.

I like this day off from work, it's quiet and immensely enjoyable. Except for my cats, one especially, Piper, who has taken to defecating along the bottom of one of the walls of my bedroom.

Piper … sigh.

She's such a crack whore: thin as a rake, but eats like a ravished beast then craps all over my walls. After these go to heaven, no more pets. If anyone's going to be taking a shit on my walls, it will be me.

Books

So I started a novel a few days ago on the recommendation of Kim: Uhuru by Robert Ruark. Imagine my delight when I suddenly realised that I know Robert Ruark. He wrote one of my favorite books, The Old Man and the Boy.

Uhuru is a novel written about Kenyan idependence in the 1960s and how it was viewed by white and black Kenyans. I just started chapter 16, but already I can tell it's a fascinating read.

One of the earliest pieces of “serious” literature I ever read was Ngugi wa Thiong O's Weep Not Child and I recall that the Mau Mau rebellion played a part in that novel; I found the whole thing quite intriguing, part of why, really, I still remember it. Of course, as a novel about Kenyan independence, it also plays a part in Uhuru. Thus far, Ruark's characters have convinced me of, if not the strangeness of it then the the utter barbarity of the “emergency” as the rebellion was called by the British Overlords. Kenya, in many ways, has still not recovered from the maelstrom of those years.

Blogs

As I read an entry of C.'s of Aviatrix blog, I had to stop reading and laugh my ass off for a full minute. See if you don't:

Here’s a conversation I have with an anonymous person who either doesn’t have a pilot’s license or isn’t legal to fly — I didn’t get the facts straight on that. Note that this conversation takes place at top volume in a small room, in front of an audience.

Anonymous: “Blah, blah, blah!”
Anonymous: “So I flew that airplane! X saw me land and taxi up to the pumps, and he said, hey, are you supposed to fly that?”
Me:
Anonymous: “I said, I don’t really fly it, the airplane flies, I just push the buttons to make it go!”
Me:
Anonymous: “Get it? Get it?”
Me: “I had better not be here next time you fly illegally, because I’ll report you. And if you think I’m kidding, think again.”
Anonymous: “HAHAHAHAHA!”
Me: “HAHAHAHAHA!”

Asshole.

Hehe.

Wailing

Why, oh why, God, do I have to toil in the mud with barely functional imbeciles? I should be at a time in my life where I'm given the right tools so I can do the right job, but at every turn, frustration personified shows up in the form of an oafish, knuckle-dragging brute. I expect such is our lot in life, but Abba father, let this cup pass from me.

No comments: