Sunday, May 06, 2007

Angel

My day as a fragrance model began rather quietly with a cup of coffee at the Borders Bookstore then a slow stroll to the setup area.  I was to work four hours manning the Thierry Mugler booth and a slight air of trepidation surrounded me as I recalled the queasiness of actually working with the mall-going public, and asking them to smell and perhaps even buy perfume.  For four hours.

Years ago, I'd felt the same thing as I walked up to the door of the first house in Fort Wayne, Indiana.  I had a bag of "study" encyclopedia hanging by a strap around my neck and to the side and a empty order book . Supposedly, in 20 minutes' time, I would be walking out of that house a few dollars richer and one order written up.  I don't remember what happened, but there were enough times that I did sell my books that I knew it wasn't a big deal: if I could convince people--mostly stay-at-home mothers--to let me, a big guy, in their houses, feed me a glass of water and then buy a bunch of books, merely asking passersby if they'd like to smell perfume was no big deal!

As I walked up, I saw the setup was simple enough: the entrance to the department store was lined, gauntlet-like, by two rows of tables, one for each of the different, better-known perfumers.  As I said, I was to man Thierry Mugler, but there was Calvin Klein and Ralph Lauren, Estee Lauder (Azuree Soleil kicks ass, by the way, ladies!), John Paul Gaultier, Lancome, and others I've forgotten now.

"Hi, S.!" I called out to my boss for the next four hours, and she looked up from her task of setting up a poster of a lavish model holding a bottle of the best-selling Angel.

 

"Hi, Fred!  I was hoping you'd make it and not chicken out!"  A playful look flitted across her face as she straightened up and extended her hand.

 

"I have a dreadful cold, S.,  I don't think you'll want to shake my hand.  I also can't quite smell properly, so I'll have to bluff my way through the day.  Is that all right?"

 

"Of course, it is.  Now, let me introduce you to J. who will be working with you today.  I've decided to have you in charge of the female perfumes and J. will talk about Angel Men, B*Men, Azzaro Chrome, and Onyx. I think women would rather buy perfume from a man than they would a woman."

 

"Really? Okay, let's do it!"

 

Secretly, I was officially now petrified.

3 comments:

Lolita said...

Petrified! What! Not you!

Chai! I should have asked you to grab me a bottle of Kenzo Amour, oh well, next time I guess.

Unknown said...

As it turns out, I only could get stuff from the Mugler collection, something I didn't find out until I asked for CKIN2U. Mumble.

Lolita said...

daaag!!!