Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Remind Me

Has anyone see the Geico commercial of the caveman at the airport? I love the song playing. I don't know why, it just felt so ...

I found out it's by a Norwegian techno band named Royksopp and it's titled Remind Me:

5 comments:

Lolita said...

I like that song too! I especially like the Geico commercials but I am in a quandary about my feelings for you.
I am drawn to you yet concerned about your aversion for Nigeria; when, don't you think, you owe a lot of everything you are today to your Nigerian Mother(May her soul rest in perfect peace) and your early childhood education in Nigeria, years that are considered your formative years?
Talk to me.

Unknown said...

Any right-thinking person would (and should!) have an aversion to a country in which nothing works and one's mother dies because there are no doctors at a hospital (imagine that!).

I owe everything I have to my mother, she could have been from Zimbabwe for all I care. Caring for my mother does not automagically transfer that sentiment to her country.

I grew up in Nigeria and I was fortunate (I believe) to do so. I like individual Nigerians and will sit to sup with anyone. As a group, there's something seriously wrong with that place and my feeling is, let the goddamned place sink, it'll never get any better. I hope I'm wrong, but somehow, I don't think so.

Thanks for the comment, L!

Lolita said...

Okay, I decided, I like you!!

About Nigeria, it is unfortunate about your Mum and I know every one of us has experienced some similar loss of a loved one that could have totally been avoided.

You have to remember though that your Mum sought refuge in the one place she considered home. She took her beautiful boys there so she had some belief in Nigeria. You have the blood of the Ibos running in your veins, you should try not to be too critical about the place as a whole.

There were no doctors because they are all here or anywhere else just not in Nigeria.

I know you are wrong about your feelings for Naij, there is hope for it, it will get better, it must! You'll see :)


Enough about that, maybe we can do Sushi one of these days, what do you say :)

Unknown said...

Be careful now, I'm a right wing nut! Your friends may disown you! :-)

The way I see it, as an Ibo man, who better to criticize the country?

I'm always up for sushi. Real sushi, O jare, not the mass of barely identifiable vegetable matter known as a California Roll! ;-)

Lolita said...

Hey, I'm grown, I don't give into peer pressure besides we can always agree to disagree :)