It's also seeping into everyday life. I recently read that not taking things personally is an essentially masculine trait. If that's true, we're done for. On a discussion board last week, I took a medical doctor to task for holding what is, in my opinion, a rather ridiculous stance—it doesn't matter whether or not I was right or wrong. What matters is his reaction: this man, in his seventh decade of life, a clinical assistant professor, board certified in Internal Medicine, Pain Medicine and Anesthesiology responds with all the drama of a teenage girl on her period:
This hilarious version of a swoon prompts an outpouring from his prom court of men on the board soothing his apparently fragile ego:
“Hang tough. Focus on all the good things in your life.”If this doesn't sound like a cackling sewing circle validating the shit out of each other, it can't be too far off.
“Doc, you are caring respected person. You have your friends and fans. Ignore the rest.”
“The 99% that appreciate and respect you wish you a peaceful mind.
Regroup, Recover, Repost -- We support you !”
Yes, we're done for.

No comments:
Post a Comment