Sunday, August 25, 2013

The White Rabbit Rides Again

Every summer it seems the gods decide to put me through an Olympics: “you, athlete (ha! Athlete!) prepare thyself for competition … with yourself.” Boom!

Here it comes—I picture a lightning rod upon which rides the gnarliest of viruses. This  year, it was these little beasties that landed with a thud:

These things decided to take up residence in my throat and turn it into a bachelorette's eve of Roman orgy proportion. And wouldn’t you know it, right in the middle of an Exchange Server 2007 to 2013 migration. The gods, they have a funny sense of humor.

Not knowing exactly what microbe had caught a ride on Thor’s lightning bolt, I decided to rest as much as possible and eat, only the latter of which I do rather well. When it became clear that it was strep throat, I felt like I should let my body (rest and nutrition, remember!) fight the infection rather than asking for help with antibiotics. Yes, this can be dangerous. Strep is no laughing matter, and people have died from it. However, at my age, I’m not particularly sure rheumatic fever or whatever other strep-related problems could take me out. So I (weakly) girded my loins and hung on for the ride.

I’m happy to report that though these bastards rained steel on the old stockade, it held strong. Though not without some very interesting hallucinations—you’ll have to remind me some time to select a few special ones for publication. One reason I felt I could withstand the onslaught without antibiotic aid is that I was still able to move about on my own steam, however slowly. I could still concentrate for a good hour or two. And so it was that Friday last, I went in to work with the idea of gathering up the remnant “action items” for the Exchange project I wanted finished this week. Silly Rabbit, projects are for healthy kids.

Nevertheless, as I scurried up the data I decided to check in on the governing document: the Exchange 2013 Deployment Assistant. This rather well-structured bit of work goes through and models out a project and task list for either a new installation or an upgrade from the various Exchange editions to 2013. When I had completed it the last time three weeks ago, the list printed out to 23 pages or so. This time, Microsoft had added enough information to make it now a 33-page monstrosity. Great!

This is a problem I’ve found with using on-the-cusp technology, especially Microsoft on-the-cusp tech. Things change, but enough to generate an additional ten or more pages?

Guess who took time off to get better?

By the way, at the first sign of strep infection, try this excellent recipe:

No comments: