In my youth, I’d always thought fondly of Philosophy—not as I did of hot crossed buns or any other deliciousness, but as a hobby of sorts. What one did when one didn’t have anything actual to do. A pastime if you will and off I went to Physics class.
With time, I began to realize something: Philosophy as a discipline, is one of the fundamental underpinnings of all knowledge. Everyone does Philosophy whatever their calling or occupation. Dr. Frank Turek explains in this article that:
… some scientists and many in the general public fail to understand is that science cannot be done without philosophy. All data must be interpreted.
Additionally, in the debate between proponents of Intelligent Design and reptiles people like Richard Dawkins, the debate is not over evidence (“everyone is looking at the same evidence”), but over philosophy. “It’s a debate,” he says, “over what causes will be considered before we look at the evidence.”
When you consider that even the “unjustly called ‘primitive’ amoeba” (according to Dawkins) contains enough information content to fill 1,000 volumes of an encyclopedia, it is difficult for the layman to think that kind of complexity was the reason of an unreasoning, completely random process without a need for any intelligent directive.
Read the whole thing, it’s at least thought-provoking.
No comments:
Post a Comment