Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Misc.

My good (childhood) friend Chidi got in touch after almost two decades--hi Chidi!—and asked after my brother and mom. I had the unpleasant and sorrowful task of telling him my mom had died.

In his commiserative reply, he told me something about my mom: she had gotten him his first library card. For some reason, this particular bit of news was quite upsetting. Mama was such a person, kind and noble beyond measure, as Chidi put it. I do not think I will see her kind anymore in this lifetime which is all the more upsetting because I realize Freddie—who’s 11 weeks old today!—will never know her in person.

RIP mama.

We Are All Connected

This video is a rather interesting musical “mashup” of utterances by Carl Sagan, Richard Feynman, Neil deGrasse Tyson, and Bill Nye(?). Watch:

The one thought that kept popping up in my mind was the amusing one of how silly it was. Here we have eminent scientific personages waxing poetic about the cosmos and Nature and how insignificant are we humans when placed in cosmological perspective:

“I know that the molecules in my body are traceable to phenomena in the cosmos. That makes me want to grab people in the street and say, have you heard this?”

All this while blithely disregarding the capital ‘E’ explanation: God.

Says Dawkins’ ilk: Of course all THIS happened by utter chance. Indeed.

OK, I’ll shut up and continue to watch these men of science attempt to worship God by searching for the light switch in a dark room.

For the record, however, know that Christians have been saying “we’re all connected” before Science ever did. Indeed, we’ve been trying to “grab people in the street and say, have you heard this?”

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Christians have also grabbed people off the street and killed them because they didn't want to listen to them.

Unknown said...

I'm pretty sure you can point to *any* group of people and accurately say that one of that group has grabbed someone at sometime somewhere in recorded history and killed them. So your point is what, exactly?