Monday, April 07, 2008

John Adams

Anyone but me watching the inspired HBO series John Adams with the redoubtable Paul Giamatti playing the title character?

H'm?

Anyone?

Bah!  Get thee hence watching! It is a wonderful series showing—in an inspired performance by Giamatti as well as others—just how perilous it was for our founding fathers to struggle for independence from then world super power, the United Kingdom with mad King Georgie (le trois) at its helm.

Normally, I get emotionally patriotic when I'm drunk—my rendition of O Say, Can You See is a sight to behold, or so I'm told—so it must be that my brain is softer than usual or that I'm getting old, but there were times … oh yes, there were times … as I watched when a tear or ten would escape the duct and fall.

Fall, I think, in deep respect and gratitude to these men and women (Abigail Adams—wow, what a woman!) who by sheer force of intellect and will produced the greatest country on earth.

Truly, e pluribus unum!

No comments: