Friday, January 04, 2008

Monkeys

With Barack the winner of the loopy Iowa caucus, the title seemed appropriate.

All right, all right, out of line... I know.  Here's a story I learned today:

Behavioral scientists placed eight monkeys in a room. In the middle of the room is a ladder, leading to a bunch of bananas hanging from a hook on the ceiling. Each time a monkey tries to climb the ladder, all the monkeys are sprayed with ice water, which makes them miserable. Soon enough, whenever a monkey attempts to climb the ladder, all of the other monkeys, not wanting to be sprayed, set upon him and beat him up. Soon, none of the eight monkeys ever attempts to climb the ladder.

One of the original monkeys is then removed, and a new monkey is put in the room. Seeing the bananas and the ladder, he wonders why none of the other monkeys are doing the obvious, but, undaunted, he immediately begins to climb the ladder. All the other monkeys fall upon him and beat him silly. He has no idea why. However, he no longer attempts to climb the ladder.

A second original monkey is removed and replaced. The newcomer again attempts to climb the ladder, but all the other monkeys hammer the crap out of him.
This includes the previous new monkey, who, grateful that he's not on the receiving end this time, participates in the beating because all the other monkeys are doing it. However, he has no idea why he's attacking the new monkey.

One by one, all the original monkeys are replaced, eight new monkeys are now in the room. None of them have ever been sprayed by ice water. None of them attempt to climb the ladder. All of them will enthusiastically beat up any new monkey who tries, without having any idea why.

Not that I'm terribly happy with Huckabee though.  The last time we had an Arkansan in the White House, well… you know.  Huckabee is nowhere as bad as that lecherous, pawing madman, and I will take a southern Baptist minister over either of those two northeasterners (freaky Mormon-boy Mitt and socialist-in-wolf's clothing Giuliani) but Fred's the man for me.

If only he can shake this mantle of unseriousness someone's managed to drape on him.  Oh for another Reagan!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

you know, that monkey story is probably the funniest thing ive read in a while. theres got to be some sort of life analogy there... i'm still thinking.
what is a caucus?

Joshua James said...

a post about barack titled "monkey" - at least you're up front and honest about your racism and bigotry

Unknown said...

I have the exact same racial makeup as Barack Obama, Monsieur Joshua. Literally both of us are African-Americans: half-(African) black, half-white.

In my case, I don't have a racial identity; Hussein there thinks the only part of himself worth anything is the black side.

I notice your daughter's also a halfie, like me. What would you think, when she grows up, if she completely abandons you (your culture, everything) for political expediency?

Unknown said...

I have no idea, Delot. I could take the time to learn, but who gives a damn what a bunch of slackjaw Yokels in Iowa think anyway?

My only problem with Iowa is that it sounds too much like Idaho. And you know, we don't have any slackjaw Yokels in the great state of Idaho! ;-)

Joshua James said...

I don't have a daughter, actually. I have a son.

And he's free to decide, for himself, what his identity is, that's one of America's great strengths, in my mind. We're not limited to only what people see, but what we want to do.

And actually, I'd probably agree with you on one or two things about Barack, but the tone of your post felt more than a tad bit racist to me, gotta say.

Hey, I could be wrong, but that's how it reads.

Your identity, the one you've embraced, seems to be of a conservative libertarian who owns several large caliber firearms, that's what you stated, and you then wrote a post critical of Barack and the people who support him entitled "Monkeys" - to me, that reads bigoted to me, irregardless of your own heritage.

I mean, you've seen the Dave Chappelle bit, right, about the blind black Clan member?

Not saying you're in the Clan, just saying your blog post read racist, to me, my opinion, no more, no less. It shouldn't matter in the grand scheme of things what I think, right?

Unknown said...

Oh right, son, sorry.

However, you didn't directly answer my question: what would you think about your son's abandonment of everything you are? From your answer, it seems you wouldn't care. Too bad, because that's part of what I believe is wrong with this country.

Heh, funny skit. Okay, so I can't be racist, apparently, but I am bigoted. I just looked up the definition of bigot, just to be sure (One who is strongly partial to one's own group, religion, race, or politics and is intolerant of those who differ).

It seems you're right, I am a political bigot. Same as you. Yet another thing we have in common. We should get together, drinks or something.

From one bigot to another: ciao.

Monef said...

The monkey story is hilarious!

I think the fact that you winked at yourself while titling a post about Barack 'Monkeys' takes any racial sting out of it. Can't believe I am actually siding with you on something:)

Unknown said...

Yeah, blow me over! Monef agrees with me…

The point of it all is, I'm making a tongue-in-cheek verbal wet-swipe at Obama and his supporters. It's ironic that it takes a white man from bumfuck Iowa to point out I'm being racist. How enlightened of him.