Monday, December 10, 2007

Mayweather

Man, no one can stop this guy!

If you're a boxing fan like me, you will no doubt know that Floyd Mayweather, who touts himself as the “best pound-for-pound fighter” in the world, took one more step to prove his boast by knocking out Ricky “Hitman” Hatton in the 10th round on Saturyday.

HBO, in an effort to play up the fight, had been showing a series of programs (Mayweather Hatton 24/7) showing Floyd and Ricky training for the upcoming match. Floyd was his usual ‘flamboyant,’ flashy self, throwing cash around like confetti. Ricky was much more subdued, though laughing at Floyd's antics.

I was caught in a true dilemma: whether to support Mayweather as the American or to support Hatton because (let's face it) Mayweather's an asshole. They were both unbeaten before the match which guaranteed a good fight. The added enmity of sorts also guaranteed a brawl and so it was!

Some years back, I bought a Pay-Per-View boxing event between Mike Tyson and someone. The someone won, in two or three rounds! What a let-down! From then on, I decided no more PPV boxing matches. I should have bought this one.

Hatton down Hatton talked tough, but in the video snippets I saw, Mayweather skillfully slapped him around with some good jabs (goddamn, that guy's got fast hands!) then finished him off with some tremendous left hooks. Well, as they say, it ain't bragging if you can do it.

Here's to you, Floyd, you magnificent bastard.

A round-by-round precis of the match can be found here.

2 comments:

Stacy said...

Forgot to tell you happy birthday (stupid flu), so happy birthday!

Unknown said...

Thanks, Stacy!