Friday, December 21, 2007

Armored

In my quest to become the next Oscar-winning screenwriter, I've joined several screenwriting forums (or fora, for you sticklers). Amidst the usual dreck on the boards, I found a real gem. A guy named Deus Ex Machine. Clever, huh?

Real name's James V. Simpson, a Canadian out of British Columbia, I believe. His screenplay, ARMORED, advanced to the semi-final of the incredibly prestigious  Nicholl Fellowship. Even more impressive, that same screenplay was bought by Sony Screen Gems and is now in pre-production, starring Matt Dillon and Laurence Fishbourne. It had, at one time, Robert DeNiro interested in starring.

Not surprisingly, this guy knows more about the theory of drama (or dramaturgy, as he likes to put it) than most. For example, he salivates over books about writing dramatic technique from the 1860s. Incredible resource, really. The cool thing is how willing he is to answer any questions about movies and writing them.

I was able to obtain and read the screenplay of ARMORED—wow! Watch out for James’ movie in the coming years.

No comments: