Thursday, October 25, 2007

Judgements

My school friend, Temi Metseagharun, sent me the following report of the acquittal and discharge of several people, co-defendants in the murder of his father. In typical Nigerian fashion, the murder occurred in broad daylight probably because the perpetrators knew nothing would come of it..

Today, the judge (a Justice Ehiwario) had the following written opinion:

“None of the accused has been properly linked with the commission of the crime. Investigation was shoddy and scanty in spite of the fact that it was investigated by four different police officer[sic].

I am of the view that if the alibi brought by accused persons were not properly investigated by police and failure to investigate the alibi by police has created doubt. Also the manner of the identification fell far too short of the required standard. I have to thread[sic] on the part of caution, the manner of arrest and identification of accused are suspect and fall short of the standard as required in capital offence.

The prosecution failed to establish whether the fresh bruises were as a result of fist blows. I didn’t find the report of the Medical Doctor who came to testify very helpful and therefore discharge and acquit them.”

Since I'm not familiar with the case and its presentation, I don't have an opinion about the acquittals. What does surprise me is the half-witted, dithering language the Justice of a court trying a capital offense uses, supposedly after a reason legal analysis of the case. In other words, this man took time to write his opinion and it still came out sounding like it was written by a retard.

God help you if you're charged of a crime in that country if this moron is indicative of its jurisprudence.

No comments: