Saturday, August 11, 2007

Turin Likes Naughty

Doctor Turin's latest review is of the niche perfumery house of Slut, er, I mean Etat Libre D'Orange. Like me (ahem!), he didn't think much of their naming conventions with names like Putain des Palace (something about prostitutes) and Don't Get Me Wrong Baby, I Don't Swallow—I kid you not!—understandably, one tends to discount such "Dada stuff," as the doctor puts it.

He recounts that after actually smelling their products, he likes them! For two reasons:

1) talented perfumers, especially young ones, have for some time been working for niche brands because it’s more fun; 2) just as important, good artistic directors, tired of working on Britney Spears’ ninth fragrance, are starting their own firms.

Which one of the horses in their stable does he like? This one:

Right.

Antoine Lie's Magnificent Secretions is “revolutionary,” gushes (no pun intended) the good doctor because Lie “used a nitrile as a main note in a fine fragrance.” He further explains that Lie's put a loud note of “harbor bilge in an elegant floral and made it fly.”

I can't wait to try this one. Can you?

No comments: