Thursday, July 05, 2007

Storing Perfume

Many people forget that perfume is a liquid, and an unstable liquid at that. I believe I'm correct in thinking they are colloidal solutions, but as I had my last Chemistry class a very long time ago, I may be wrong. I could, of course, actually read that Wikipedia article to know for sure, but I'm a lazy SOB. You do it for me and let me know, would you?

Anyway, back to perfume. Storing perfume in the bathroom, next to the window is a Bad Thing™. Very soon, the diurnal ranges of temperature will degrade the essential oils (the “parfum” in perfume) and you'll be left with a bottle of vaguely nice smelling, very expensive alcohol.

Keep your perfumes stored in a cool, dark place. Some crazy collectors (not me, alas) store their perfumes in their original boxes in refrigerators. Some aren't satisfied with that, preferring a special wine fridge which supposedly keeps a more constant temperature and humidity level.

Besides spritzing oneself with a great smelling refreshing mist, your perfume will last longer.

Now Smell This discusses this further.

No comments: