For the past few weeks, my cell phone's been ringing with a peculiar type of call. The Caller ID for these turns up as “Unavailable”, which usually means the call originates outside known civilization—for me, this has always meant receiving a call from Nigeria.
My mother is long gone now so I know it's not her.
Invariably, I pick up the phone and a godawful perversion of broken English comes sputtering through. Take for example a call this morning:
“Helooo? Fred.”
“Yes, this is Fred, who is this?”
Unintelligible … “Mark.”
“Who are you, Mark? How do I know you?”
“Na wa. Allao me toe call you back.”
“No, don't call me back. Who are you?”
Click.
Fuck me!
May the fleas of a thousand camels infect the armpit of whatever lout distributed my phone number.
I've received Unavailable calls from men, women, people who sounded old, young, people with Hausa accents, and some with Yoruba accents and harsh Igbo accents. You name it.
What in Zeus' butthole these people would like to talk to me about is beyond me but I'm sure it's the usual: money.
The only consolation I draw from this is that it costs me nothing to receive these calls, but I'm sure it's costing them a ton. Which is why I sometimes answer.
2 comments:
OMG!!!
Who are you telling? That shit pisses me the fuck off, Big Time!!!
They call it "Flashing"!!! Where a person calls you just enough for their number to appear on your caller id, then they hang up, so you can call them back.
On one of the calls, I had several missed calls from that number, figured it had to be something important, so I called back. This mental dude actually claimed he saw my number in some wallet he found, I was like, "yeah right, more like some mobile you stole, buster", and then after I had listened to his schpiel on how he needs money to go to University of Akure or something, I sternly warned him, naija style, "NEVER IN YOUR LIFE SHOULD YOU EVER VENTURE CALLING ME AGAIN"!!!!!
But he got me because I got to calling everyone I know back home to see if their wallet had been pinched. My brother said it is a normal occurrence there and that I should just let them waste their "credit". I'm sorry but I neither have the patience nor the time for that type of foolery!
Do you get the calls from fax machines, ughhhhhh, those irk the hell out of me because they come at the oddest hours and I can't ignore them because it could be a legitimate call from home with important info, so I answer the bloody call only to hear, fraaaaaaaaafreeeeee, fraaaaaafreeeeee!!!
Okay, I’m done!
I hear you, sista, I hear you.
Post a Comment