Sunday, September 03, 2006

Homosexuality

The temptation is strong in some people reading my blog to think I hate Homosexuals. Au contraire. Not only do I not hate Homosexuals, I have many I call good friends, some of whom are exceedingly refined people, well-educated and delightfully funny. Now, this looks suspiciously like those protestations many white people make when accused of racism: "but I have black friends." Rest assured (or not, I don't fucking care), it's not the same.

No sir, I do not hate Homosexuals. While their predeliction to buggery (for the male Homosexuals at least) is not my cup of tea, I respect their right as consenting adults to engage in whatever sexual gratification they can find suitable, within the law. I resent the government or any one else for that matter, having a say in what happens between two adults in the privacy of their homes and as long as no laws are broken, have at it!

Here's where I wiggle away from unthinkingly swallowing the liberal homo-line, homo-hook, and homo-sinker: I don't believe Homosexuals can and should be able to dictate to the rest of society what marriage means. Society has seen fit to enact protections for that special union known as marriage and there are many good reasons for this protection, which I will not go into right now. Homosexuals are free to marry, but to members of the opposite sex! If not, and they would like to enter a legally-binding arrangement the enforcement of which is protected by Law, there are many such arrangements possible. One last point, there is no such thing as heterosexual marriage or homosexual marriage, there's only marriage.

Besides this, and on a lesser (as in serious), more grammatical point, just what the fuck is a Homosexual? Homo- is either Latin/Greek for Man or Greek for Same. So, is a Homosexual a Same-Sexual or a Man-Sexual? What's a Same-sexual? A more important question, who cares?

No comments: