Thursday, August 31, 2006

A Jew awakens

I always catch NPR's Talk of the Nation at lunchtime, mostly listening to silly bloat-heads talking about silly bloated topics. Today was different. I heard someone named Thane Rosenbaum, a Jew and professor of law at Fordham Law School talk about Isreal in terms I'm not used to hearing from Jewish intelligentsia. Listening further, I got the fact he'd written an op-ed. My cup of tea! I found it and here is a sampler:
And I am not alone. Many Jews are in my position -- the children and grandchildren of labor leaders, socialists, pacifists, humanitarians, antiwar protestors -- instinctively leaning left, rejecting war, unwilling to demonize, and insisting that violence only breeds more violence. Most of all we share the profound belief that killing, humiliation and the infliction of unnecessary pain are not Jewish attributes.

However, the world as we know it today -- post-Holocaust,post-9/11, post-sanity -- is not cooperating.

Refreshing.

3 comments:

Andrew Langer said...

It's so funny - I caught the same TOTN interview, and was similarly surprised. I put the WSJ op-ed up on my blog, and got a challenging comment almost immediately thereafter.

You might be interested in checking it out:

http://langrrr.blogspot.com

- Andrwe Langer

Unknown said...

Nice blog, Andrew. Thanks for visiting and good luck in your election!

Andrew Langer said...

No, thank you!