Thursday, January 20, 2011

Tiger Booboo

I’m a huge fan of Amy Chua’s new book, The Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother” which is, I think, an exquisitely told memoir of trying to fit the square peg of her strict Chinese upbringing in the round hole of modern American children.

For some inconceivable reason, many people—many who haven’t even read the book—think Chua’s advocating a certain style of child-rearing, a manual if you will. It’s no such thing. It’s a memoir, morons!

I believe there are some excellent things to take away from the Tiger Mother method and some things to reject. Even Amy Chua ultimately regrets many things she didn’t (or did) do.

Various Americans of Asian origin have risen up like a typhoon of recriminations against Chua because, I think, they hated growing up in such a strict environment. One such is Lac Su, the author of I Love Yous are for White People. CNN approached him for comment and he wrote this article in response.

Here’s where the irony comes—in the article, a screenshot of which appears below, Su writes that he still “bare wounds that haven’t healed.” That’s right, “bare”. It seems he should have listened more to his parents, and perhaps he’d know the correct spelling and tense of the word “bear”. Sorry Tiger Mother.

Lac-Su

No comments: