I’ve been engrossed in watching the History Channel presentation of a series titled America: The Story of Us. While I generally like these kinds of programs, I’m always a bit leery because if it is possible to revise and reconstitute the lessons gleaned from history, you can bet the liberal media will do so with glee.
After watching some episodes, I was puzzled to find that the series involved the government of South Africa! In what way exactly, I don’t know but here’s the interesting thing: the portrayals of black Americans seemed a bit “off” by which I mean, I could tell the actors weren’t black Americans and it suddenly dawned on me that the “blacks” were in fact South Africans.
The ultimate irony: funded (excuse me, presented) by Bank of America with coyly inserted historical vignettes disguising crude commercials—the Great Chicago Fire was really all about Bank of America, it seems—and blacks portrayed by South Africans, America: The Story of Us seems to be anything but.
I’d give the series, superbly narrated by Liev Schrieber, by the way, a 70% grade. I really dislike the idiot celebrities they gathered to provide ridiculous commentary (Al Sharpton and Sheryl Crow, really??) on subjects of which they actually really have no knowledge.
No comments:
Post a Comment