Monday, April 05, 2010

Race?

I’ve just finished filling out the 2010 census form.

Like a good soldier, I gave them only my name, rank and serial number. Well, I gave them my name and age. They knew the other stuff already.

My race? Well, that’s none of their fucking business. I actually see no good reason they’ve included this question. Apparently, according to the census bureau, you’re whatever race you like. So why ask these fucking questions?

If one wants to know my racial constitution, well immediately I can answer that I have both white American and black (ie. actual) African “blood.” My wife is nominally white—even though she has native American (read: Indian) blood and God knows what else—which means my son has 25% African “blood” coursing through his veins. Does this make him black or African American or, to be even more obtuse, Negro?

What amount of black “blood” does it take before a person is no longer white? Or black? Or whatever the fuck?

So as I’ve said before: I’m an American; they can take whatever reason they used to include questions about race and stuff it up their collective asses.

the-finger

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Fred .
I'm serious I burned it .I was angry too and justly so.it didn't ask me anything of importance,like what type of transportion I take,what I'm involved in in my community,and even so much as what public places do I frequent.I felt that asking my race was unruly because it generalized me and anyone I've ever known can't be generalized.were all so different and we all have complex surroundings it's not "ok."so I burned it.I pay my taxes and won't be treated like a moron.
And so far as white goes a hundred years ago Italians Jews Irish and eastern Europeans weren't considered Caucasian so they can shove that up their ass.I am who I am -as popeye put it.
-miss you,Shawna