Saturday, April 21, 2007

Gucci Pour Homme II

Gucci Pour Homme II reminds me of other fragrances, but that could be because of the top notes--not that this is a bad thing! On the contrary, I really liked GPH II's top notes. They are a wonderful introduction to this 2007 creation, not to speak of the tremendous bottle!

The color combination of the solid square bottle filled with blue liquid topped by a brushed Gold cap is inviting and pleasant and, of course, somewhat unusual. Aren't the best things always?

As time passes, the other notes make their appearance, but at a gentle pace, almost reluctantly. That, or my nose was a bit stuffy today (it was, but not badly). Either way, it was still delicious. The amazing thing I found was that the initial citrus--bergamot--never did quite find its way out of the picture and exerted a nice, continuous easy presence. I know I could definitely smell the spice of the pepper intermingled in there and that lent a certain sharp quality that made you to take notice every so often.

With even more time, a calm, almost melodious accord appears. This happens rather quickly, I suppose; more on this later. In general, GPH II stays close to the body, but I could tell it's got good sillage and should please anyone who cares to smell you, voluntarily or otherwise.

This is a great perfume, I believe it's one of the best traditional citrus fragrances I've tried to date. In fact, I like it so much, I'm assigning it five stars. The one drawback: longevity, but it's nowhere as bad as you may think. With a good six to seven hours (and longer, if you care to sniff close), it scores a four out of five. The reason it gets a five for quality even though I usually don't give that score to a perfume that doesn't last at least eight hours is because I understand it's (chemically) tough to create a citrus perfume with much longevity. The molecular weights of the chemicals involved is just not that substantial.

If you like a sprightly, definitely interesting fragrance, there are worse things you can do than invest in a bottle of Gucci Pour Homme II.

2 comments:

Dami said...

hmm you love these things dont you
your review is something else, thought you worked for the govt-career change ;)

I like it already! i hope its over here now
how much is it?

Unknown said...

Yup, I do so love perfume. Strange, but true.

It's about $65 for a 3.4oz bottle (100ml). You can probably get it cheaper if you order it online.